Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Blue is the colour of Holi

Its Holi (The North Indian festival of colours) today and I cant help but feel homesick.
For people greeting each other with colour, (I remember my dog used to be the first one to get a teeka on Holi morning!) kids running riot on the streets shooting colour pistols at each other, neighbours getting together to taste each other's gujiyas (fried pastry with sweet concentrated milk and nut filling),
friends getting all high and happy on bhang (cannabis, in the name of religion anything goes in India, I guess) in all its lovely forms - thandai (almond milk drink), pakoras, laddu you name it.
These
and other chaotic scenes fill my mind as I face an eerily silent day in this city.

Besides the cliches of getting people together in this increasingly alien world, I love this festival for its ability to make people lose their adult inhibitions and just give in to the celebration of life.

So next time, Holi, I promise, you will be mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment